Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman Lives Again

63MB600Pullman

Ever seen a Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman? It’s a huge limousine manufactured by Daimler in the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties (although production after 1975 was quite low in volume until manufacturing ended in 1981).

Only 2,677 Mercedes-Benz 600s were built, and out of that total, only a scant 428 long-wheelbase Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullmans were manufactured, so if you haven’t seen one, don’t feel left out.

Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman open doors

But, people whose names you are familiar with owned these cars. Among the famous and infamous owners of the Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman were: Sadaam Hussain, Coco Chanel, John Lennon, Leonid Breznev, the Pope, “Papa Doc” Duvalier, Hugh Hefner, Ferdinand Marcos, Pol Pot, Elvis Presley, Aristotle Onassis, and list goes on.

The 600 Pullman was beloved and is now an automotive icon, and with that in mind, Daimler has announced that it is going to start producing it again, with cars offered for sale in 2015. Yes, after a long period of dormancy, the Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman lives again.

And if you have a million dollars (US), you can own one. The car will be about 21 feet long, which is 14 inches longer than the extended wheelbase Rolls-Royce Phantom, and will cost twice as much as the aforementioned Phantom. But Daimler does throw in high-quality armor-plating at that price.

For the article in Bloomberg, click here, and you’ll not only read about the future Pullman model, you can read about the expansion of the whole Mercedes-Benz S-Class line.

And, on a personal note, boy, would we love to see one of these pull into our shop sometime. All of that interior space, with only the best materials used, means we could do that job and then maybe take off for a month. Just kidding, we’d never take off for a month. But, really, this is an automotive interior shop’s dream car.

Ah, well, one can dream, right?

12 thoughts on “Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman Lives Again

1. Alison says:

Well I’ve never seen one of these in person or in a photo and it’s really awesome. I’d love to ride around in one.

2. David says:

You and me both, Alison. You and me both.

3. The Earl of Time says:

What a magnificent car, it’s a rolling work of art.

4. Go Navy says:

Saw one of these outside the German Embassy once – it looks very imposing.

5. Go Navy says:

The technical superiority of the new one is probably not going to make up for the charm and style of the old one. Just my thoughts.

1. Go Navy, I think you are probably right about that.

2. For sure. There will never be another one like the original 600!

6. richard woodell says:

This was my “Dream Machine” when I was in my late teens. My peers were into ‘Vettes, GTO’s, T-Birds, Mustangs; but I like to think I was on a higher level.

It was literally the “King of Cars” and the “Car of Kings” Kings actually DID own them. As well as heads of state, business tycoons, movie stars, John Lennon, Hugh Hefner, The Pope, and Saddam Hussein all owned them!

No expense was spared. Mercedes engineers were given one mandate.: Build the finest car in the world. And given a blank check as well. And that they did!

The only thing that kept it out of my garage was the $34,000 price tag. A huge sum back in the late ’60’s.

But interestingly enough, when I was 23, I actually DID have that much cash in the bank to buy one. Older and wiser individuals cautioned against making such a purchase. “Too much for just a car, foolish squandering, the foolish whims of a misguided young man with more dollars in his pockets than common sense in his brain!” I took their “wise” counsel to heart, and instead took the conventional route ofd stocks and real estate.

Flash forward 44 years later:
    Had I followed through on my foolish instincts, I would be the proud owner of a car worth over $500,000, maybe even much more than that. One of these fetched a seven figure sum at a recent auction.

I learned two things from this experience: Sometimes you should follow your heart instead of your head. The other one: “God does indeed have a sense of humor!”

1. I was warned to not purchase a Citroen DS Cabriolet by many; the standard DS had enough problems on it’s own, and the cabriolet would have been a nightmare to gets parts for in the 80’s from the United States.

I took everyone’s advice and bought a Porsche instead.

Those cabriolets. like the original M-B Pullmans, are also worth a great deal of money now, and still just as visually stunning as when I wanted one back in the day.

(shrug)